Click to Call
Senn Insurance Agency

124 Triad Center W,
O'Fallon, MO 63366

Get Directions
Senn Insurance Agency Blog

Is Your Home Insurance Enough? What to Consider

Home insurance plays a vital role in rebuilding and repairing when a covered event damages your home. Home insurance may pay to fix a roof when a tree falls on your home or clean up the mess if a vandal damages your home’s siding.

While getting home insurance is an important first step, reviewing your policy regularly is also important. At Senn Insurance Agency, servicing O’Fallon, MO, we offer home insurance that covers a range of perils and help homeowners review their policies when the time comes. Below are some things to consider when deciding whether your home insurance is enough. 

When was the last time you reviewed your home insurance policy?

Home insurance should go through a review process every year. During the process, you should look at your coverage amount and determine whether it’s enough to replace or repair your house when damage occurs. It may have been enough when you got the policy, but building materials can go up in cost, as can home prices themselves. Reviewing your policy gives you a chance to rectify this problem. 

Have you made significant home improvements since you reviewed your policy?

Did you add a room to your home or increase your home’s square footage by finishing your basement? This is the kind of information you should consider when you’re reviewing your home’s insurance policy. 

Contact your insurance agent to review your policy today. 

If you’re unsure whether your home insurance coverage is adequate, the professionals at Senn Insurance Agency servicing O’Fallon, MO, can help. We can review your policy and recommend updates to ensure that you have sufficient coverage to protect your home. 

What New Homeowners Should Know About Buying Their First Home Insurance Policy

Buying Your First Home Insurance Policy: A Guide for New Homeowners in the Greater O’Fallon, MO Area

If you have recently purchased a home in the greater O’Fallon, MO area, having a home insurance policy is a critical step towards safeguarding your investment. Senn Insurance Agency offers some key factors to consider during this process.

Understanding Coverage Options

Typically, home insurance policies offer various types of coverage, including dwelling (covering the structure of your home), personal property (covering your possessions), liability (covering legal expenses if there’s an injury on your property), and additional living expenses (covering temporary housing if your home is uninhabitable). Understanding these coverage types will help you select a policy that best suits your needs.

Determining Coverage Limits

When deciding on coverage limits for your home insurance policy, it’s essential to consider the replacement costs of your home and possessions. If you underestimate, you could risk being underinsured in the event of a claim. Conversely, overestimating could lead to needless premium costs. Consulting with an experienced insurance agent can help you determine suitable coverage limits.

Considering Additional Coverage

New homeowners may need to consider additional coverage for specific risks not covered in standard policies, such as flood or umbrella insurance. Assessing these potential risks and discussing them with your insurance agent ensures comprehensive coverage.

Reviewing Policy Exclusions

Taking a careful look at the exclusions and limitations of your home insurance policy is vital. Regular exclusions could include damage caused by earthquakes, floods, or certain types of personal property. Knowing these policy exclusions can inform your decisions about seeking additional coverage options.

Purchasing your first home insurance policy is a crucial undertaking for new homeowners in the greater O’Fallon, MO area. If you need help understanding the available coverage options or selecting the right policy for your needs, contact Senn Insurance Agency today.

Preparing for a Home Insurance Claim: What You Need to Know

When the unexpected happens, having a solid understanding of the home insurance claim process can make all the difference. Being prepared can help you navigate the challenges of filing a claim and ensure a smoother recovery, whether it’s a burst pipe, fire, or structural damage. Here’s a list of the steps that you need to know:

  1. Document Everything: From the moment the damage occurs, document the situation with photos and videos. The more detailed notes you have, the better. This will serve as crucial evidence during the claims process, helping insurance adjusters accurately assess the extent of the damage.

  2. Go Over Your Policy: Understand the coverage limits, deductibles, and any particular requirements related to the type of damage you’ve encountered. This will empower you to make well-informed decisions throughout the claims process.

  3. Every Moment Counts: Don’t hesitate—time is crucial. If you encounter damage, quickly contact Senn Insurance Agency, serving O’Fallon, MO, and the surrounding areas, to report the incident and initiate the claims process promptly.

  4. Partner With The Adjusters: Insurance adjusters will assess the damage and determine the amount of compensation you’re entitled to. Cooperate fully during their inspection, providing any necessary documentation and answering questions truthfully.

  5. Temporary Repairs: If you need to make temporary repairs to prevent further damage, keep detailed records of all expenses. Your insurance policy may cover these costs, so providing accurate documentation for reimbursement is essential.

In times of crisis, being informed is crucial. Ensure you have a copy of your insurance policy readily available, and familiarize yourself with the claims process details. For added protection for your home, contact Senn Insurance Agency, which serves O’Fallon, MO, and the nearby areas. Contact us today.

Will my homeowners’ insurance pay for the repair/rebuild of my she-shed?

Homeowners’ insurance creates peace of mind for many people. This type of insurance contains different types of coverage to cover a wide variety of situations that homeowners may face. Many homeowners would be unable to financially handle unexpected events, accidents, and damages to their homes or property. The Senn Insurance Agency team is dedicated to helping O’Fallon, MO homeowners understand the benefits of homeowners insurance.

What is homeowners insurance?

Homeowners insurance is designed to provide a wide variety of coverage for your home. It’s designed to provide liability coverage and coverage for your home and belongings. Your homeowner’s insurance covers your home’s exterior, interior, foundation, personal belongings, and any other structures on your property. Of course, your insurance has specific terms regarding what types of circumstances and incidents your policy covers. If your home, personal belongings, or structures become damaged, you can file a claim with your homeowner insurance for repair or replacement. Depending on your homeowners’ insurance terms, you may or may not need to pay a deductible. 

My she-shed burned to the ground. Will my homeowners’ insurance pay for the repair/rebuild?

Yes. Your homeowner’s insurance will pay for the repair or rebuild of your shed if the incident/damage is covered. The repair or replacement of your she-shed is covered by "other structures coverage." However, any personal belongings damaged in the fire are (covered) replaced or repaired by personal property coverage. Understanding homeowner’s insurance can be confusing. A licensed insurance agent can help you explore your homeowner’s insurance policy. If you have questions, call us. We’d happily answer your questions and help you explore your options.

Tips for Protecting Your Home While On Vacation

Most people look forward to their vacation months in advance as it is often one of the few opportunities to catch a few consecutive days of stress-free living. Before leaving on vacation, the insurance professionals at Senn Insurance Agency offer these protection tips for your property or home in and around the O’Fallon, MO vicinity.  

Lock Doors & Windows

Make sure the property is secure. Consider extra security like a deadbolt.  

Install a Home Security System

Home security is now more affordable than ever. You can have alarms on windows and doors.

Use Light Timers

Set timers for lights or TVs/Radios to deter potential thieves.

Have a Friend/Family Member Keep an Eye on Your Empty Home.

Ask someone to check the property regularly while you are away.

Hold Mail & Newspapers

A pile of folded and unread newspapers is a sure sign the residents are not home. Put the mail on hold or ask your neighbor to get it.  

Lay Low on Social Media

Vacations are exciting, so people share their experiences with friends and family live and online. Avoid these pots until you are home to avoid tipping off a potential burglar.  

Secure valuable items

Consider storing valuable items in a safe or other safe location. Finding an appropriate safe can protect your items from storms, fires, and theft.

Don’t Leave a Hide-A-Key

This method is not secure and may increase the chance the property is burglarized.

Install an Outdoor Senso- Light

These lights switch on when sensing any movement.

The Take Away

The last thing you want after a vacation is to come home to an issue that may have been preventable by being cautious. For information on further protecting your home and family in the greater O’Fallon, MO area, call the professionals at Senn Insurance Agency at 636-987-7798 or online.

Tips to prepare your house for a storm

As winter progresses, so do storms and the potential for more severe weather in the O’Fallon, MO area. Preparing your home for a storm can help to minimize damages and protect your family from harm. Here are some tips from us at Senn Insurance Agency to help get you started:

  1. Secure outdoor furniture, decorations, and any other items that may be thrown around in strong winds. It’s best to store these items away in a safe place until after the storm passes. 
  2. Clear gutters of debris and leaves so that water can flow freely away from the house during rain storms. Additionally, trim any bushes or trees near windows, so they don’t become projectiles in high winds. 
  3. Check windows and doors for cracks or gaps which could let water or wind into the house. Apply caulk or weatherstripping to seal these areas up tight before the storm hits. 
  4. Ensure your home is equipped with surge protectors for electronic devices should lightning strike close by. This can minimize power spikes which can cause damage to delicate electronics like computers and televisions. 
  5. Ensure an emergency kit is ready with items such as flashlights, batteries, bottled water, first aid supplies, and non-perishable food items in case of prolonged outages or if assistance is needed from emergency services during the storm. 

By taking these steps, you will be better prepared when storms hit the O’Fallon, MO area and hopefully avoid major disasters or mishaps! For more tips on staying safe, call us at the Senn Insurance Agency today. We are happy to help!

Home Insurance and Your Rebuilt Car Project

You’re in the middle of a vast rebuild project on that old car you bought in O’Fallon, MO a few years ago. You’re about to start work on the engine, wondering, "does my home insurance policy cover my work in progress?"

The quick answer is no. Your home insurance policy does not cover vehicles being worked on, even if they are stored in your garage. However, there are some things Senn Insurance Agency can do to make sure you and your project are protected.

Getting the Right Coverage for Your Project Car

One option is to purchase a standalone garage policy explicitly designed for people working on cars in their garages. These policies typically cover things like tools and equipment and any damage that might occur to the vehicle itself while it’s being worked on.

Another option is to add an endorsement to your existing home insurance policy. This is usually more expensive than buying a standalone garage policy, but it can be worth it if you have many other valuables you want to keep under one policy. For example, adding a classic car you don’t drive but keep stored in your garage protects it in the event of a fire, theft, or other types of damage.

Regardless of your route, make sure you talk to an agent at the Senn Insurance Agency about how to protect your vehicle rebuild project best. We’ll be able to help you assess your needs and find the right coverage for your situation. And once your project is finished, we can help you update your coverage so that you’re only paying for the protection you need. Soon you’ll be showing O’Fallon, MO your new ride!

Four Weird Things That Might Not be Covered by Your Home Insurance

Your home is your safe space. It’s where you go to relax, unwind, and feel comfortable after a long hard day at work. So it’s no surprise that we’re pretty particular about what goes on inside our four walls.

But did you know there are some weird things that your home insurance might not cover? Here are four of the strangest:

Damage Caused by Pests

We all love our furry (or not so furry) friends, but did you know that your pet could void your home insurance policy? That’s right – if your pet causes damage to your home or injures someone, your home insurance company may not pay out. So it’s essential to check with your insurer before you adopt or buy a pet.

Damage Caused by War

War not only destroys homes, but it also destroys lives. The physical and emotional damage it leaves behind is immeasurable. Unfortunately, your home insurance policy probably doesn’t cover damage caused by war.

Most home insurance policies do not cover damage caused by nuclear bombs and chemical and biological weapons. So, if you live in an area prone to violence, purchasing additional coverage is essential to protect your home and belongings.

Damage Caused by a Power Outage

Power outages are quite a common occurrence these days. Unfortunately, it often leads to a lot of damage for businesses and homeowners alike. Some of the damage that isn’t covered by your homeowner’s insurance coverage in case of an outage include:

  • Damage to Electronics: If the power outage is caused by a lightning strike, your home insurance policy might not cover the damage to any electronics plugged in at the time.
  • Food Spoilage: If the power outage lasts long enough, your food could start going bad. And while most home insurance policies won’t cover the cost of the food itself, some will reimburse you for any damages caused by the spoiled food (like if it leaks and damages your flooring).
  • Loss of Business Income: If you run a business out of your home, you might not be covered for any loss of income that results from a power outage.

Repairs Resulting From Negligence

We all know that accidents happen. But if the accident was caused by negligence, your home insurance won’t cover the repairs. For example, if you leave your oven on and it starts a fire that damages your kitchen, your home insurance company will likely not pay for the repairs.

The same goes for water damage – if you leave your sink running and it floods your home, your insurance company probably won’t pay for the repairs. So, it’s essential to be careful and take precautions to prevent accidents from happening in the first place.

Bottom Line

While your home insurance policy is designed to protect you and your home, there are some things that it just doesn’t cover. So, knowing what your policy does and does not cover is essential. That way, you can ensure you’re fully protected in an emergency.

If you’re looking for the right home insurance policy for your needs, Senn Insurance Agency in O’Fallon, MO can help. We’ll work with you to find a policy that fits your budget and provides the coverage you need. Contact us today to get started!

Tips for making your home a safer place

Home is your safe place. That is what most people feel and think. There are thousands of deaths every year in homes due to preventable accidents. Knowledge is power through falls, poisoning, or fires, and prevention is the best cure. At Senn Insurance Agency in O’Fallon, MO, we use our experience to give our customers exposure to our network of top carriers in the business. 


The main cause of death in the home for people over the age of 65 is falling. Young children are often injured this way as well. Reducing the risks of falls in your home is a great place to start making your home a safer place. 

  • Remove clutter
  • Keep stairs clear
  • Avoid throw rugs
  • Keep electric cords out of walkways
  • Have slip-proof bath mats
  • No-slip mats or stickers in showers and tubs
  • Add nightlights
  • Handrails on two sides of the stairs
  • Have adequate lighting in dark hallways


Children are the most vulnerable to poisoning in the home. Many things used regularly to clean are poisonous if ingested, and small children, especially, are prone to putting everything in their mouths. Install childproof locks on your kitchen cabinets. Never leave any medication where a child can reach it. Keep in mind that children climb and are very resourceful when putting it away. 

Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors

Having smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home is vital. It is also essential to make sure that they are operational. The batteries should be replaced every six months, and they should be tested. It is so simple to do and can save lives. 

Contact Senn Insurance Agency in O’Fallon, MO when you are ready to discuss your home insurance needs. 

Demystifying Common Home Insurance Myths

Nothing is more devastating than buying any insurance based on misguided facts. It can be frustrating, especially when a disaster strikes, only to realize it’s not covered. If you are in the stage of seeking home insurance, we understand the confusion. With many myths peddled around, you can’t tell which one is true or false. Fortunately, Senn Insurance Agency is here to demystify some common home insurance myths to help you buy a home insurance policy based on facts. Let’s explore

Myth#1: Home insurance covers all damages

Standard home insurance doesn’t cover all the damages. While home insurance protects you from damages resulting from vandalism, fire, theft or other selected natural calamities, it excludes some damages. Be sure to go through all the exclusions to avoid surprises when claiming. For example, standard home insurance will not cover you from floods, earthquakes, acts of war, pest infestation, and many other exclusions.

Myth#2: Home insurance covers the house only

Home insurance does not cover the structure only but the contents too. It covers even the detached structures like a garage at an additional premium. And that’s not all. Home insurance offers liability protection and covers additional living expenses if your home becomes uninhabitable.

Myth#3: Home insurance covers your family medical expenses

Home insurance only covers medical expenses for your guests who get hurt within your premises. The policy does not cover injuries sustained by you or your family members.

Myth#4: Home insurance is not worth the investment

You’ve probably worked for years to save for that home. Imagine just one occurrence could reduce your entire investment into nothing. Where do you start? Think about the thousands of dollars you’ve invested in your home and see the value of investing in home insurance.

Home insurance in O’Fallon, MO

Every day, you hear of new insurance myths, making it impossible to exhaust them at a go. If you encounter confusing information about home insurance, seek clarification from a trusted insurance agent. For all matters do to with home insurance, contact us at Senn Insurance Agency.